Marriage Licenses

To obtain a marriage license, both parties must appear together in person with current picture identification and Social Security Card. If you do not have your Social Security Card, a copy of your W-2, tax return, pay stub, or medical card with the Social Security number on it will be accepted. If you do not have a Social Security number, you must go to the Social Security Office and obtain a letter stating why you do not have one.

No appointment is necessary and blood tests are not required. However, Idaho Code §32-412A requires both parties to read and sign a premarital AIDS educational pamphlet.


$30.00 cash or check with identification is accepted ($28.00 is the marriage license fee & $2.00 is for a certified copy which will be needed for a name change). Credit and debit cards are accepted. Proof of identity and age pursuant to Idaho Code §32-202:

The requirement that an applicant provide a social security number shall apply only to applicants who have been assigned a social security number. An applicant who has not been assigned a social security number shall:
  1. Present written verification from the social security administration that the applicant has not been assigned a social security number; and
  2. Submit a birth certificate, passport or other documentary evidence issued by an entity other than a state or the United States; and
  3. Submit such proof as the department may require that the applicant is lawfully present in the United States.


Applicant 16 through 17 years of age must present the following:

  • Original birth certificate or certified copy
  • Current Driver’s License, Passport or State issued identification card
  • Parental consent from either parent or legal guardian
  • Must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian or provide Affidavit of Consent to Marriage of Minor

Applicant under 16 years of age needs the following:

  • A court order


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I need to be a resident of Idaho to obtain a marriage license?
A. No, however, with an Idaho State License, you must get married in Idaho.
Q. Is there a waiting period before using the license?
A. No, you may get married the same day.

Q. Do both parties need to be present at the same time?
A. Yes.

Q. Is a blood test required?
A. No, blood tests are not necessary; however Idaho Code §32-412A requires both parties to read and sign a premarital AIDS education pamphlet available at the counter.

Q. Can I use this marriage license in another state?
A. No. A State of Idaho Marriage License is only valid in Idaho.

Q. When we receive the marriage license, are we married?
A. No, An authorized clergy member, judge, or other designated official, i.e. mayor or governor must perform the ceremony.

Q. When will the marriage license expire?
A. There is no expiration on the license. It is good forever; as long as the same two parties listed use it.

Q. Do you accept charge/debit cards?
A. Yes.

Q. Can we be married at the Courthouse?
A. There are judges available to perform the ceremony. You will need to contact the Judge’s secretary at 736-4047 for an appointment. There is a fee of $20.00 cash.